Do you need to change your patio door lock but are lost in the endless array of locking systems? Rather than calling a locksmith and dreading the bill going up, you can do it yourself!
And to avoid ending up with an incompatible lock, we give you all the keys to success. With a little knowledge, anyone can repair a patio door lock. All you need is a set of tools.
But then again, if you are not comfortable doing it, there are many réparation de serrurerie à Bruxelles who will help you with that.
Here is our thought on how to repair a patio door lock easily.
How to Repair a Patio Door Lock: Basic Steps
Things you need: Flat head screwdriver
- Slide the patio door to the open position. Engage the locking mechanism on the door. There is usually a latch to engage the door lock.
- Locate the lock set screw on the edge of the door lock where the bolt exits the door. There is a screw on the top and bottom of the latch assembly that holds the door latch. A screw just above the latch adjusts the depth of the toggle.
- Turn the screw counterclockwise with the screwdriver to hang the latch in the door. Turn the screw one full turn and release the latch from the door.
- Close the door and lock the latch. Pull the door handle to determine if there is still excessive play. Continue to adjust the latch until there is no play when you pull the handle with the door in the locked position.
Tenants: an additional step!
Don’t go blindly installing a new lock. If you are a tenant, replacement due to obsolescence or mechanical problems is your landlord’s responsibility. Remember to contact him before the replacement, to make sure that he covers the costs.
If you wish to change the lock for a security issue, the costs will be at your expense. Wait for your owner’s agreement to replace the lock. You may be asked to re-install the old lock when you leave the apartment. You now have all the keys in hand to change the lock!
In Case Of Difficulties, You Will Have To Call a Locksmith in Your City
Finding a good locksmith in Brussels who is trustworthy is not so easy. Indeed, many professionals are working in your area, but how many of them are really recommendable? Also, to avoid scams, here are some tips that will help you find the provider who will meet your needs.
As a first step, we strongly suggest that you opt for a locksmith who has been recommended to you. It can be by your relatives, for example, or on the Internet. Word of mouth is definitely a recommended method.
A friend or a family member certainly knows a trusted locksmith who can provide you with qualitative service. On the Internet, reading customer reviews is also a good thing. You will be able to get a more precise idea of the professionalism of your locksmith.
When you contact a locksmith, they must be able to:
- To find out about the origin of your problem, after asking you a series of questions.
- To estimate the amount of the intervention, and to suggest sending you a quote by email. If it is an emergency situation, then the amount announced must be identical to that requested at the end.
- To offer you an intervention schedule. This, of course, will have to be respected.
If this professional seems hesitant on the phone and gives you only vague information, then find another locksmith. In addition, you need clear and understandable explanations. It will be helpful in reassuring you on the one hand, but also to prepare your budget.
Although we said earlier that the process is not difficult, but it sure needs some expertise. However, we always recommend contacting an expert locksmith. He will know how to repair a patio door lock with precision. This will save further costs and hassles for good.
It’s during an emergency when you have no other choice but to contact a locksmith that scams take place. Therefore, it is necessary to always have the number of a trusted service provider in your directory.